Monday, August 2, 2010

Placement

As many of you know I work as a social worker helping adults with developmental disabilities (DD). This last year has been "The year of the babies". I have worked with several young women who over the last year have had children. One is currently raising her child and doing an OK job at it. Another pursued adoption but the child's father, also DD, stepped forward with his family right before the baby was born and now that child lives with the father's parents. And lastly there is the baby that was removed from her mother's care just a few days ago.
I have mixed emotions about this removal (Yep I will admit I have become attached). I can see both sides of this situation very clearly. I am sad for my client who has spent the last four months try to be a mother, but at the same time I am happy for the baby who I can seeing having a shot at real future. I wanted so much for my client to be successful. I tried to give her all the tools to help her succeed. We wrapped a large team of people around mother and baby from the start. We did everything WE could do to educate and facilitate growth. Ultimately everything WE did could not undo my clients lifestyle.
The baby went a few nights ago to it's new temporary home and plans will now be made for my girl to try to work her way towards better health and through the seemingly endless system. I can hold her hand but I can't do this for her (no matter how much at times I wish I could).
Many people over the last few days have stated how nice it would be if I could take the child and adopt her. These other professionals know of my situation and think it would be the perfect fit. They feel like I would be a great mom to the baby as well as would be able to have an open adoption with the baby's parents and thus a win win for everyone. They know I could make this work. This is also something I have thought about for the last four months as I have known this situation would end up as it is now. I however can not foster/adopt this child no matter how much I want to. There is a HUGE conflict of interest in this case. Not only could I no longer advocate for my client and if I took on the role of a foster parent she would be left with someone who doesn't know her the way I do. Chef and I aren't even in a position currently where we could work, heck I haven't even mentioned to him that I would like to foster this baby.
I hope this little girl and her parents find a placement that will work for all of them. There isn't family that I am aware of on either side that would be willing or capable of raising her. Thus she is truly left to the system. I continue to hang my hat on the fact that she is an amazing baby and that this is the best for her and for her future. I have to put the rest of my feelings aside in this case and look at this new life and the potential it now has to impact the world!

No comments: