I have been thinking about goals for myself a lot lately. I really need some things to look forward to, to motivate myself. I've been trying to think of a fitness goal for a few days now. I thought half or full marathon. I would have to go to south a few hours to run either of these. The race(it's the same one they just do two distances) has been written up in several running magazines and is supposed to be great for beginners. I'm not sure though with the length of our summers here that this is really a feasible thing for me due to training needs. Though I do really like running and would some day like to at least run a half marathon.
Then today on Facebook the National MS Society had a post about Bike MS. I had heard about Bike MS before but never really looked into what it is. So today I took the time to educate myself. Bike MS is an annual fundraiser for the National MS Society. There are rides all over the US put on by the different chapters. It is a two day event with rides happening both days. You pay $40-$50 to enter and then fund raise as well. They like for all riders to raise at least $200. I'm pretty sure I can raise that. The kicker is the ride itself...drum roll please... 75 miles each day...yes that is a total of 150 miles in two days. There are breaks and check points every 10-20miles. It's a lot of ridding but I think that I might actually be able to do this! I have NEVER ridden that much before...actually I didn't even get on my bike last year but I think I could do this. I also feel strongly about the cause which would also be a huge motivator. This wouldn't be just about me reaching a personal goal this would be about me helping others and that makes the appeal so much greater. I told Chef about my thoughts to ride today and he isn't sure I can do it (this makes me want to prove him wrong). There is a cycling club in the valley that I could join and train with. It would also be fun to meet new people and maybe get others involved in the ride as well.
Anyway I'm going to put a lot of thought into this over the next couple of weeks. I have time the ride isn't till the end of Aug or beginning of Sept depending on the one I choose, but I need to decide so I can start training.
Here's to personal goals that make a difference!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
good luck... Goals are Great !
This sounds like a feasible and a worthy goal. Let us know when you start to collect your $200.00 I'm sure I can help some!
What a kind thing for you to do. These fund raisers can be fun, too. I have walked in the Cancer walk several times and meet all kinds of neat people. Good Luck!
JE
Post a Comment