Next week Chef goes to the neurologist. I can't believe that it has already been a year and a half since he was diagnosed with MS. We have learned a lot during this time.
He has switched jobs MANY MANY times. It feels like now he might have found a good fit. He is working as a sous chef at a high end assisted living facility. He really likes the pace, he knows how many people he has to cook for every meal, he gets to do what he knows and what he loves, but most of all the stress is low!!! He ventured out into the world and played softball. He found that running was very difficult but that he could handle pitching really well and did a great job and enjoyed it. Our diets have changed dramatically and now are much healthier then they ever were. We even come together at least one night a week and cook a healthy meal together (who am I kidding I watch him cook and then I do the clean up). He has learned that MS shots and depression medication aren't evil they actually help you keep it all together.
I've learned that I can do things without him by my side. I thought I always needed him by my side in activities by I realize that I can find just as much enjoyment doing things by myself or exploring life with friends as well. His disease has helped me find my independence again. Heck I'm training to do the Bike for MS event by myself and am also thinking of training for a marathon.
Most of all though we have both come to realize that life truly is what you make it. If we sat back everyday and always worried about the next flare up or that one day he won't be able to walk we would fall down a tunnel of self despair and loathing. Instead we are embracing the life that we have right now, we are loving each other and what we have. Tomorrow will bring what tomorrow brings but today is today and we are going to live it!!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You two are so wise. Take it from someone who knows, you just don't know how much time you have with the one you love. Live life so that you have no regrets. Take a chance, see things, do all there is that you want to do!
I cherish every moment that Mom and I had. And if there are any regrets, it's just that there wasn't enough time!
Love ya,
JE
JE: We try to do our best in living in the present! "Mom" was an amazing woman! I know from being around you both that you charished each other deeply. It love like yours that inspires us youngins to love and live as much as we can.
Post a Comment