Thursday, January 20, 2011
random acts of kindness
Yesterday I was the recipient of a random act of kindness. I pulled into the gas station on empty, I went to one that I normally don't go to. Wasn't really paying much attention stuck my credit card into the slot picked up the pump not thinking and began to pump. The pump then began scrolling $10 prepay. I though well crap I have done something wrong. I pumped the $10 went inside, stood in line, visited to the clerk for a moment who said "well someone must have paid and driven off"!! A bit perplexed and a bit confused I walked back out while everyone looked at me. I then pursued to fill the rest of my tank. It was only when I drove away that I realized what had happen. A RANDOM ACT OF KINDNESS!!! OK, it might have also been someones mistake but I like to think of it as a random act of kindness. All the way home I thought about how wonderful of a gesture that this was of someone...especially in this town where people really don't have a lot right now. (Our lumber mill and aluminum plant are shut down, a major car dealership announced it's closure yesterday and many other places are laying off or shutting their doors.) I then felt a bit guilty about being the person that received this random act, I have enough to get by and a bit left over at the end of the day. I have gas to get everywhere I need to go and places beyond. Other people don't have this luxury. Now I need to figure out how to pass along the random act. I have some thoughts but I want the act to go to someone who really needs it. I don't care if they don't have the ability to pay it forward I just want to give someone something that they may not have had or would have struggled greatly to afford.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
The next time you are eating out in a restaurant, pick someone at a table near you, and just pay their tab when you leave. I have always wanted to do that, but never have. Once, a long time ago, someone did that for my wife and I. I have never forgotten it!
JE
Thank JE. Love the idea. Driving home today though I thought I would go to the local thrift store. Search out a family buying items for their kids. Go to the cashier and give her money to pay for the families items. Maybe even give them a note stating once they are able to pay it forward to someone else in need.
Post a Comment