Friday, January 14, 2011

relinquishment

I have a client who signed the papers last week to relinquish her rights to her child. She has been struggling for over a year now to do all the things that the court has ordered her to do. She has come a really long way but do to her disability she hasn't had the success that the system says that she needs to. I am very sad for her and wish that I could bring her and her child into my home and raise them both. That however isn't possible.
I have grown a lot over the last 6 months along with her. She has made me what to do more for young women like her. I haven't figure out yet how I will do it but my hope is once I get my masters I will begin with counseling young women like her. Then the grander much more complex endeavor will be to establish a group home of sorts or even a network or families that will not only foster the child but foster the mother as well. Thus keeping their families in tack and supporting them like the desperately need.
I have come to realize that the success of these women really depends on the family support that they have. I have two young women who have two children each and are able to raise their children quite well. The difference between them and the women that I'm working with that have wound-up "in the system" is family support. Those that have strong families are successful in parenting those that don't aren't successful. I really mirrors mainstream society in many ways but it is much more evident with these women.

No comments: