Monday, November 15, 2010
just over a year
It has been just over a year since Chef was diagnosed with M.S. I think it has taken me every minute of that year to start to comes to terms with this new reality. There are still days that I struggle with knowing that our future won't be the same one that we had dreamed of 8 years ago. I however have made the decision to not use the what-ifs as a crutch but as motivation. I've learned that I need to be stronger then I ever thought I was, that I do have the strength to handle this situation, and that this WILL make us stronger as a couple. I have also put a lot of thought into the future and what I can do to shape it for us. This has motivated me to begin exploring masters degrees and ways to increase my earning potential to be able to support us and to maintain the lifestyle that we want as Chef becomes less able to work. With the process of looking at masters degrees I have also realized that this is something that I REALLY want, not just something that I have to have. I am actually thankful for the motivation that his M.S. has given me. I would have never thought that I would say that I am thankful to have M.S. in my life but I am. Without his diagnosis I would have likely been content to work whatever social work job came my way or even to stay where I am forever. I now hope to have a masters in 2-3 years and be working to forge a better future for both of us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I always appreciate when I can see a person of a younger generation look at the glass as half full rather than half empty. Knowing you as I do, I know you will make this happen. Sometimes, it takes a life altering situation to jolt us into making decisions of any kind. Know that this writer is very proud of you. Keep on keepin' on! You go girl!
JE
JE..Thank you SOOO much. My own parents don't know what about the M.S. and how it is changing my life. It feels very good to hear that encouragement from you. Again Thank YOU.
Post a Comment